Sunday, November 7, 2010

October 26 - 3 weeks here

(I sent this out as an email...)

Hi friends and family,

I've been thinking of how to share Hawaiian life with everyone, and wrote a few entries in a blog but that doesn't seem to be working, so I thought I'd just send out emails now and then, and attach a few photos.

So just to start off: having been here not quite 3 weeks, after feeling very surreal for a very long time, I am finally feeling more acclimatized. Slowly and carefully I am building my routine, and my sense of what to do to make this farm work, what is my contribution and what is fun!

Every day I accumulate new bumps and bruises because everything is so new. Actually yesterday was a milestone, no new cuts! Cuts are memorable because they get infected immediately unless you keep them very clean. For example - lemon tree unkindly speared me with it's huge needles as I was kindly giving it compost. Wheelbarrow leg jammed into my leg as I yanked it over a bump. Foot got scraped as it slipped through a pallette - of course I'm wearing flip-flops as I do all these garden chores, because the box with all my work shoes is still en route (parcel post is veeerrrry slow).

Exciting new home improvement yesterday: Dan and I recrafted the laundry area/potting shed which is under a tarp attached to the side of the semi-house we are in, and expanded the potting shed to allow for many more plant starts. Plus room to hang clothes. Hanging them outside runs the risk that a cloud will come zipping over and dump on them, which happens every now and then when you thought the day was cloudless.




Here's a photo of a few fruits I scrounged the other day from the lower garden, which is in the heart of our camp and mostly has shrubs and trees now: 5 Jamaican liliquoi - they are the torpedo-shaped ones (passion-fruit, oh so delish), 2 round yellow liliquoi, the brown lump is an air potato (grows on a vine, can get very high up in trees), a variegated lemon, and a cup full of blueberry guava. The leaf is from a Ti plant, which is a greeting tree planted by every home, also very tasty cooked in lau lau.


That's it for now - time to turn off the generator and make some potting soil.

love,
Rachel

No comments:

Post a Comment