Saturday, November 7, 2009

So

So here I am living in this house. Particularly lonely (but also nice) this weekend while Naomi, Joseph and Noah (1 year old) are back east for a 90th birthday party. Michael and Rebecca have gone out to meet with Roosevelt School folks about a forest garden project. I have let the chickens out, fed them, thought about doing something with the lighting in the coop, returned with two eggs, eaten one with leftover squash and winter-root salad and added the other to some oatmeal-raisin cookies, of which I have already eaten four. Observing how they are going from too soft with molassesy middles to crunchy, just about right yet I am definitely reaching my quota before they have reached perfection.

I look around the house and note that I have very few articles in it. A few cookbooks and a little of the kitchen stuff are my contributions, and a couch and a rocking chair. Other than that the guitars, toys, books, boots, raingear, co-op-ready boxes, pickling projects, knick-knacks and riff-raff are all Dan's or, mostly, other household members'. But this IS my house, I do live here and I am living here - forever? permanently? beyond Hawaii? As a grandma? It's not really real, that. I think I've been renting and transitional for so long now it feels like the permanent status. It's refreshing change from disgruntled suburban this-is-not-my-boring house status. Well, it's not because it was boring that I left, but the effect was refreshing in several ways.

A quick review:
sometime ~1992 - bought Westwood house with Joseph, 3 kids, 1 dog
April '04 - I move out of Westwood into Thomas St with Ariel and Emily
Sept '04 - tried living back at Westwood; by winter of '06 Ariel has moved into apartment with Nick, Emily joined her
May'06- summer sublet on lovely Langridge Av with Em; met Dan; Ariel to Florida
Sept '06- rented house on 17th Street; Em had a bedroom, Jason did but never used, moved Casualtee into garage; Callie (Ariel's first cat) got lost
Sept '07- bought house on 41st Way, moved in with Emily, Buster and Maddie
December '08 - Ariel moved in downstairs with Emma and Hurley (dog kinda and cat)
July 2009 - moved into Dan's; Em to Woods Hole; Ariel and Kyle moved to Steamboat
Sept '09 - Em to Portland with Maddie; A to Tacoma with Emma; rented out 41st Way to TESC students
Oct '09 - Dan and Jason to Hawaii to begin installing power systems and otherwise set up the Farm for longer term life sustainability

... what is next? Rachel moves to Hawaii... grows organic turmeric, discovers it turns silver hair orange.

1 comment:

  1. Boy you remember that a lot better than me. Except I lived with Stephanie for a while.

    Were we really at Dad's from 04-06? Eugh

    We haven't lived with Jason in a very long time...

    & in response to your email, I think your blog can be whatever you make it. Remember that you have a journal, and write anything you find embarrassing in there... but I found this more interesting to read than the other entries (there's a good chance that this is due to me being present for events in past entries, and this one saying my name multiple times).

    ReplyDelete