Sunday, October 18, 2009

Farmer's Market; Harvest Day

Today will be a lot better for the volunteers down at the Market. I helped set up the booth. It was a beautiful morning, sun shining off the wet pavement and booths, vendors setting up their stalls; we're at the end with Sullivans, the apples in huge crates, the pepper wagon with all shapes and sizes, red, yellow, green (is that why the Italian flag is red and green?). The strong girl moving the cart spilled a few peppers - if you ever want a free, hot pepper just go there at 9:55 before the market opens and pick some off the asphalt.

Fantastic pickings at the Calliope farmstand - Jason you would have drooled at the Romanesco - and I got a box of tomatoes to make salsa and sauce from Kirsop, told the guy you got his CSA box in exchange for shirts and he said, why, I'm wearing one right now. At another stand I asked how they keep their arugula from bolting and got the tip to plant it every few weeks, mix potting soil with seed and scatter. We chatted about the tastiness of the spicey flowers of arugula versus the milder broccolirab. I guess for standing and chatting I was rewarded with some free sweet onions for carmelizing and too-small winter squash for soup.

Then went to the Coop to get bulk olive oil and vinegar, which I'll need for the salsa, and saw Evan who wants to get involved in what's going on locally on climate action.

All in all a beautiful Olympia morning - the house smells delicious from the applesauce Naomi's canning; I'm gonna go help start on the sauerkraut from the HUGE cabbages everyone got in their farm boxes (or grew).

(See, if I had a camera I could adorn this post with a colorful picture of the Market!)

No comments:

Post a Comment